Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Islandhome #30

==ISLANDHOME #30==
September 24th 2008

==IN THIS ISSUE...==

Shards of Alara Prerelease
Madonia Minute

==THIS WEEK'S SCHEDULE==

Saturday: Shards of Alara Prerelease
Sunday: Chaos Draft/Cube Draft at Brothers Grim @ 2 PM

==SHARDS OF ALARA PRERELEASE==
Author: Brian Paskoff

This Saturday, Gray Matter is holding their usual prerelease at a different location, the Sheraton hotel in Hauppauge right on Motor Parkway. Unlike in-store prereleases, you'll be able to play in multiple flights as well as 3-man team events, and get to play against players you haven't met before.

As with every Long Island prerelease, the format is sealed deck - you'll get a tournament pack and three boosters of all Shards of Alara product to build a minimum of a 40 card deck. Since there's no decklists used, you'll be allowed to change your deck between rounds, which is perfect for experimenting with new cards. If you've played in more than one set's sealed format before, you know that each set has its own unique strategy for deck construction. Shards is no different, well, except for being different from all the other sealed formats before it; in that case, it's the same. ...Right, moving on.

Shards of Alara focuses on three distinct "Shards", represented by three colors in a row on the big color wheel (look at the back of a Magic card to see what I'm talking about). Each Shard feels like a mini-block with its own unique themes, and sometimes keywords. There are also many three-color cards, which makes constructing stable manabases somewhat difficult, more on that later. You may have heard of the "build within a Shard" rules for deck construction, but rest assured that is only for the Release Event, not Prereleases. Even with that restriction off the table, you're more than likely going to want to stay within a Shard's colors for two reasons: One, the number of tri-colored cards makes it hard to splash for a fourth color or play three colors that aren't in a Shard, and two, every mana fixer in the set fixes mana only within a Shard's colors. There's the comes-into-play-tapped "tri-lands", the tri-fetch-lands, and the three mana Obelisks that tap for any one of a Shard's colors.

Luckily, all of the lands in the set are either common or uncommon. There are no rare lands in Shards, which means it's easier to pull a mana-fixer in your three colors. In Shards of Alara limited, it's going to be very important to get all three colors down as early as possible. Since there's only one two-drop in the set that costs two mana of a single color (Knight of the White Orchid, which costs WW), you want to be able to produce three colors by turn three. If you're playing Esper, and you're lighter on black than the other colors, your mana base might look something like six Plains, six Islands, and five Swamps, with non-basic lands replacing some of those if you have them. Of course, you can play a Grixis tri-land in your deck - it does tap for two of the colors you'll need.

Limited is a creature-based format. Most of your victories will be earned in the red zone, so focus on getting about fifteen to eighteen creatures into your deck. The rest of your spells should focus on removal, combat tricks, and utility stuff like mana fixers or big splashy effects like a Wrath. Narrowly useful spells like artifact/enchantment removal you might want to avoid putting into your maindeck and instead sideboard them in when you need to.

Whatever you build, I hope to see everyone there on Saturday! Don't forget, everyone (while supplies last) gets a free Ajani Vengeant promo just for signing up to any event!

==MADONIA MINUTE==
Author: John "Metagame" Madonia

My article will contain limited Magic content this week. Today I have a lot to say.

I personally don't like anything about Shards so I'll keep my opinions, though aplenty, to myself for once.

In the past few months I've found myself slowly distancing myself from Magic. I took up a bowling league on Friday's which also happens to be everyone's favorite Friday-to-do FNM. That particular tournament is geared toward the casual player, with cool promos and limited risk involved. I used to enjoy drafting with friends but as the time has progressed I've become complacent and bored of the same format and the same people. I've also noticed on Saturdays that the sole reason I attend the tournament is to see my friends and not engage in any Magic activities. I've gotten to the point where I think I've accomplished everything I need to accomplish as far as Magic goes. I've qualified for three Pro Tours, been the highest rated player in New York State, and met countless people that have shaped who I am today. Most people know my "remand" story where, although I may make light of it, I was placed under arrest and put in jail for a night. You might think "it was only a night" but the ramifications of my actions could have cost me a lot more then a night in jail.

My parents have always supported anything I've done. I'll be straight forward I was a complete loser two years ago. I was 10,000 dollars in debt had no insurance or license and lost my girlfriend of three years because why should she lower herself to someone like me. To see the look of shame and disappointment on my parents faces really took a lot out of me. I never wanted to see that look ever again, I lost their trust, their respect, and their believe in me.

I told myself that everything I do, I need to do it to the fullest. I toiled around at jobs and have finally settled into a wonderful job making a good salary with a full benefit package. Two years ago I had no idea about a 401k now I have 4,000 put away for my retirement. I also have money in the bank and bought a 30,000 dollar car with full knowledge that any slip up and I'm back to square one. I felt that I needed something real and this would show me responsibility and the wherewithal to get my life back on track.

Fast forward to Saturday. I finally realized I've turned full circle and I am a completely different person than I was before. I'm disappointed that Innace thinks that we (Paskoff and I) manipulate tournament results to get my rating up. For the most part, I earned a lot of those points, some people gave me wins since they knew I was trying to qualify for the pro tour and it wasn't a necessity to hinder my quest. Did people give me wins, yes, did I earn a lot of those wins, yes. I played just this last week and played every match and won each match with a well above 2000 rating. Furthermore if Paskoff had the ability to manipulate ratings everyone would be a 2000 methinks.

This article isn't about my rating, because honestly its not important to me anymore, I just never want to be viewed as the old John Madonia. Mike feels that he gets slighted at FNC because I have some vendetta against him. As far as a personal vendetta, I don't have anything against him or Grippa. I don't enjoy when Grippa attempts to talk to me like I'm an idiot, because also like him, I am a college graduate, and I'm more worldly and intelligent than people think. Have I been a little overbearing on Innace, I very well could have been, but don't bring other people into the fracas that have nothing to do with the situation. Dan Gould is one of my good friends as everyone knows. He made a judgment call where Innace attempted to counter a Demigod but didn't let the trigger resolve. Dan, stating he was playing to win the game, said that it comes back because of a layering effect that allows Demigod to hit the yard and then trigger the effect. Innace was noticeably disappointed and upset that the situation happened and how Dan handled it. I full understood his frustration that he felt he was being slighted by Dan, but to then to lump him into our personal affairs was uncalled for. Dan wasn't trying to do anything to 'help madonia' he was following a trigger rule that is correct in the rules of the game, was it friendly, maybe not, but he, not myself was playing the game.

I finally realized after an awkward hour or so that I'm getting to old for the high school drama. I'm to the point at 24 where I need to start looking for apartments, a stable relationship,and my future. Magic is become a part of my past and i realized that Saturday. Moving towards the present and future I'm not sure if the game holds the same importance in my life especially when peoples enjoyment of the game is being tainted by inane drama. I want everyone to play at FNC, I don't want the tournament to be about Innace and I, or Grippa and Paskoff, people go there to have a good time and I apologize if I ruined that for anyone, including Innace.

I've enjoyed Magic for over 10 years and will always hold great memories for me. I've decided that Shards of Alara will be my last set and I will wind down playing by the turn of the year. I know it won't be easy to just stop playing, im sure it will be a tough process, but I know this is the time I need to do it.

I will be at the prerelease playing in the tournament and the three man team event. I will not be at FNC's Shards event, I'll start slowly not showing up at FNC every week til the point where I won't be in the fray anymore.

I'd personally like to thank everyone for reading,

Good luck,

John Madonia

==RULES CORNER==
Author: Brian Paskoff

Q. I play a Demigod of Revenge, with no others in my graveyard. My opponent jumps in and plays Cancel, and counters the Demigod without saying anything else. What happens to the Demigod?
A. A big part of Magic is communication, and the [O]fficial stance on Demigod of Revenge is that its triggered ability is supposed to be a skill-tester for control players. When you play Demigod of Revenge, the spell goes onto the stack, you pay its costs, and then the triggered ability goes on the stack above it. This all basically happens at once; there's no "before the trigger goes on the stack" moment where players can do anything. Then your opponent plays Cancel, and the stack looks like this, from bottom to top: Demigod, Demigod trigger, Cancel. The last thing to be added to the stack is Cancel, so that resolves first, and Demigod is countered and put into the graveyard. Now the only thing left on the stack is the Demigod trigger, and when that resolves, the Demigod they just countered comes back from the yard. Ouch!

The only way to stop the Demigod from coming back into play is letting the triggered ability resolve, and for that to happen, a player has to actually demonstrate that they're doing that. The best way of course is to say "Okay, trigger resolves, then I counter the original." If there's any Demigods in the yard, they'll come back in, but the one just played will stay in the yard.

Q. Why doesn't the player playing Demigod need to announce that the trigger is being put onto the stack?
A. Triggers aren't really "announced", they just happen. Demigod's trigger is somewhat unique in that it doesn't have any kind of physical hint that it's on the stack. For example, a player might grab their pen if there's a trigger on the stack that'll change their life total, or reach over to remove a counter from a suspended card, or go into their deckbox for a Faerie token off Bitterblossom. Demigod's trigger doesn't have any in-game requirements either, like picking a target. Sower of Temptation's trigger isn't "announced", but picking a target is a clear indication that it's on the stack. It might be nice if your opponent told you Demigod's triggered ability is on the stack, but he's not required to.

Q. Does Ethersworn Canonist's ablity only work the turn it comes into play? It says "this turn", not "every turn".
A. What turn is it? This turn! When a static ability says "this turn", it really does mean "this turn", i.e. the turn you're reading the ability. It's like saying "right now". Other examples of this kind of wording include Goblin Cohort, which can definitely attack every turn that you've played a creature spell and not just the turn it came into play (if it had haste).

Q. I have a Recumbent Bliss on my opponent's Diety of Scars, and he also has a Scuttlemutt. If I play a Glamer Spinners, do I have to move the Aura from the Deity to Scuttlemutt?
A. The Recumbent Bliss can stay right where it is, as long as you don't target the Diety of Scars. Glamer Spinners' ability only requires a creature to be targeted, so targeting something that doesn't even have any Auras on it is fine.

Q. Do tokens go to the graveyard?
A. Yes, but they're not there long. State-based effects will cause them to cease to exist if they're in the graveyard, or any other zone besides in-play.


==THE ISLANDHOME BLOG==

One of the things I wanted to do was have an archive of past issues online so I could refer people back to them as well as let new readers peruse old issues to see what all the fuss is about. So I've archived all the old issues on the blogosphere at islandhomemtg.blogspot.com. Go and relive all the past moments of glory!

==UPCOMING EVENTS==

September 27th: Shards of Alara prerelease
Gray Matter is hosting the Shards of Alara prerelease at the Sheraton hotel in Hauppauge, which will have dealers, team events, and multiple flights you won't find at in-store release events. Click here for details and directions!

October 4th - December 28th: PTQ Season for PT Kyoto

The next PTQ season kicks off October 4th, and the format is Shards of Alara sealed deck! The PTQ schedule should be released within the next few weeks.

October 4th (Saturday): Shards of Alara release event at FNC
More details soon!

October 5th (Sunday): Shards of Alara release event at Brothers Grim
More details soon!

==STORE LOCATIONS & CONTACT INFO==

Brothers Grim
1244 Middle Country Rd.
Selden, NY 11784
Phone: 631-698-2805
Website: www.brgim.com

Friendly Neighborhood Comics
3 Grant Avenue, Suite 2
Islip, NY 11751
Phone: 631-470-7984

==FIN==

See everyone this weekend!

Got forwarded Islandhome and want to sign up? Send an email to IslandhomeMTG@gmail.com!
-Brian Paskoff
L1 NY

No comments: